“I already have a driver’s license, so I don’t need a motorcycle license right?” Yes, Virginia, You Need A Motorcycle License. All 50 states now require a motorcycle license if you ride a motorcycle on the highway. You first need a motorcycle learner’s permit that varies from state-to-state.
Here is the process:
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Complete a driver’s safety education course.
- You may also need to complete a motorcycle safety instruction course.
- You have to take and pass a written motorcycle exam.
- And pass a vision test.
You passed the initiation process, and your state will issue a motorcycle learner’s permit. Your motorcycle learner’s permit is valid for at least six months not to exceed two years in most states.
Some states do have restrictions for you to follow during the permit period.
These restrictions are:
- Ride only during daylight hours.
- You are not allowed to carry a passenger.
- In some states, you must have with you an adult who has a motorcycle license.
Okay, you completed the time requirement of your learner’s permit, you are now ready to get your license or endorsement.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Bring a birth certificate proof of state residency and your Social Security number.
- Show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course.
- Take and pass a motorcycle road test and a written test.
- Prove you’re not colorblind or nearsighted.
- Pay the fees for the test and the license or endorsement.
Your state will issue you a motorcycle driver’s license or place the endorsement on your existing license. In many states, your motorcycle license or endorsement is valid for five years and expires on your birthday.
When you take the road test, it is essential that you bring the motorcycle you will be riding once you have your license. The motorcycle you bring for the test must have current registration and proof of insurance.
Okay, let’s go back and discuss why you need a motorcycle safety instruction course before getting your permit. It is essential to know how to ride a motorcycle properly and to learn the defensive driving skills that will protect you.
Many states will not issue a driving permit unless you show proof of completion of a motorcycle safety course. Most motorcycle safety instruction courses are private businesses that will teach you the basics required to obtain a permit, for a fee.
These motorcycle safety instruction courses are usually 2 or 3 days from three to six hours each day. You start with a classroom orientation where you go over the operation skills and risks associated with motorcycle riding.
Then to the range where you will learn:
- Speed control using the clutch.
- Learning to shift the gears.
- How to smoothly start and stop the motorcycle.
- Keeping the motorcycle in a straight line at slow speeds.
There are rules:
- Have experience riding a bicycle (it’s a balance issue).
- Show up wearing the proper riding gear.
- Pre punctual some courses will not allow you to train if you are late and no refund.
What Is The Proper Gear?
- Helmet DOT approved.
- Protect your eyes with glasses, sunglasses, goggles, or face shield.
- Ankle and foot support meaning high top work shoes hiking boots or motorcycle boots.
- Leather gloves that protect your fingers and the palms meaning Motorcycle Leather Gloves for Men.
- A jacket or long sleeve shirt so wear Leather Motorcycle Jacket or Textile Motorcycle Jacket.
- Wear denim pants with no holes that equate to Men Leather Motorcycle Pants or Men Textile Motorcycle Pants.
Now that you have your motorcycle license or endorsement, there is one thing left to do. Head for Wicked stock to order all the motorcycle clothing or gear that you will need for riding your motorcycle. Do not forget to like us on Facebook and Instagram to check us out.